Forms & Permits

Public Meeting Notice

Under Chapter 303, Acts of 1975, all meeting notices must be filed in the Town Clerk’s Office, time-stamped, signed by the Town Clerk and posted on the clipboard immediately outside of the Clerk’s office at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.  Meeting notice forms may be downloaded from the Town web site.

Click here for the 2023 Notice of Open Meeting

Business Certificates

Business Certificates (DBA/Doing Business As) must be filed by an unincorporated business located in Rowley that is operating under a name other than one’s own, i.e. Nancy Nice d/b/a Nice Antiques.  The fee for a Business Certificate is $20.00 and it is valid for four (4) years.

Genealogical Research

Research may be done in the Town Clerk’s office during our posted office hours.  We have several excellent references in the office, including "Early Settlers of Rowley, Massachusetts" by Blodgette and Jewett, "Eziechi Rogers Plantation 1639-1850" by Amos and Emily Jewett as well as Rowley, MA Vital Records to 1850. Research may be requested in writing – fees to be determined – with a self-addressed stamped envelope.  Research requested will be done as time permits. The Rowley Free Public Library does have an extensive genealogical research area – check out their hours elsewhere on this site. If you require certified copies of birth, marriage, or death records, please see instructions in "Certified Copies" below.

Notary Public Services

Notary Public Services are no longer available in the office of the Town Clerk. 

Certified Copies of Vital Records

Certified copies of Birth, Death, and Marriage records are available at $10.00 each. Copies may be obtained by mail by submitting a written request with a check, payable to the Town of Rowley, and a self-addressed stamp envelope.

Click here to download PDF of the Vital Record Request Form.

Dog Licenses

– MGL 140, Section 137 requires that all dogs six months of age or older must be licensed. Evidence of a current rabies vaccination must be provided. Licenses are $10.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $20 for ‘intact’ dogs. Tags are valid from April 1st to March 31st of each year. Residents aged 70 or older are entitled to free licenses for their dogs, but late fees still apply. Licenses must be renewed by March 31st to avoid monthly late fees.  Kennel Permits are available at the discretion of the Board of Selectman and The Animal Control Office. Kennel fees are as follows: $20.00 for 1-4 dogs, $50.00 for 5 to 10 dogs, and $100.00 for 11 or more dogs. For more information, Animal Control Officer Reed Wilson may be contacted by calling the Rowley Police Dept. non-emergency line: 978-948-7466.

Click here for Dog License Application

Click here for Online Dog Licenses

Marriage Licenses

To apply for a Mass Marriage License, both parties must come in to the Town Clerk’s office together to complete Marriage Intention documents. Each party must be at least 18 years old and have a certified copy of their birth certificate or a US Passport as proof of age. Premarital blood work is no longer required by the state. Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days and may be used to marry in any Massachusetts city or town. There is a mandatory three-day waiting period from the application date to the date the license is issued. This can be waived only through a court order. The fee for a marriage license is $20.00 and includes a certified copy of the completed marriage certificate. Additional certified copies are $5 each.

Raffle Permits

A Raffle Permit is needed by any organization that intends to run a raffle. Only Non-Profit organizations that have been in existence for at least two (2) years qualify for a raffle permit.  Permits are $10.00 each and run for one calendar year.

Launch Ramp Permits

Launch ramp permits are available at the Town Clerk’s Office under the direction of Rowley Harbormaster, William DiMento. Ramp Stickers are available to Rowley Residents who can prove they are Rowley residents/taxpayers and that various taxes are paid up to date. Limit of 2 launch ramp stickers per household.
Ramp Stickers are $60.00 each, $15.00 each for additional stickers. Residents over the age of 65 pay only $5.00 for the initial sticker and $15.00 for additional stickers. 

Boat Ramp Application Form - Residents/ Rowley taxpayers only

Moorings: The Town Clerk does not approve or issue mooring sites. Contact the Harbormaster to obtain a mooring permit (508-397-2450) or apply online here.

Shellfish Licenses

Shellfish Permits are issued by the Shellfish Commissioners and distributed by the Town Clerk under their direction.  All permits expire on March 31st.  New Licenses are necessary to dig on April 1st. Proof of residency is required in the form of one or more of the following: MA Driver’s License showing Rowley address, status as a registered voter, presence on the Town street list, or a copy of a service invoice showing name and Rowley residential address or previous shellfish permit. Residents applying for Commercial Permits must provide proof of a valid MA transaction card. Click here to download: 

COMMERCIAL Shellfish Application
NONcommercial Shellfish Application

Fees are as follows:

Resident Commercial180 lbs/day$400.00 /year
Resident Commercial: 60+ years of age180 lbs/dayFree
Resident Junior Commercial180 lbs/day : 4/1 - 9/30 only$200.00 /season
Resident NON-commercial20 quarts/week$40.00 /year
Resident NON-Commercial: 60+ years of age20 quarts/weekFree
Summer Resident NON-commercial20 quarts/week, one week only$20.00 / week
Non-Resident, NON-commercial20 quarts/week$200.00 / year
Non-Resident, one-day permit10 quarts, one day only$30.00 / day

Wildlife Licenses

Hunting, Fishing, Sporting and Trapping Licenses for the State of Massachusetts are no longer available from this office. Hunting, fishing, sporting and Trapping Licenses as well as Waterfowls stamps, Primitive Firearm Stamps and Archery Stamps may be purchased online at Please be advised that the State does require proof in the form of a previous Hunting/Sporting License or FID and Hunter Competency Program Certificate.

More information and the fee schedule are available at the Massachusetts Fisheries and Wildlife website.

PDF icon shellfish-permit-application301.71 KB