Town of Rowley
Board of Selectmen
General Government
Public Safety
Public Works
Health & Human Services
Coastal Flood Information
Community Preservation
Recreation, Historic, Agriculture
General Information
Town Links
Town Calendars

Application Forms
Library Events
Requests & Comments
Board of Health

Members Charles Costello, Chairman
Susan Elwell
John Melcher
Department Head Frank Marchegiani, Coordinator of Health Services
Staff Wendy Hansbury, Assistant Inspector / Administrative Assistant
Mailing Address

39 Central Street
P.O. Box 783
Rowley, MA 01969

Department Email

Telephone 978-948-2231
Fax 978-948-7196
Office Hours

Monday through Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Department Meeting Schedule Generally the first or third Monday of the Month
  View Agendas and Minutes

Links United Way and Mass 211 –information referral system for vital community services
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
Massachusetts Department of Health and Human Services
Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources
Northeast Massachusetts Mosquito Control District
Disaster and Emergency Planning and Preparedness
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
US Department of Homeland Security
US Food and Drug Administration
US Department of Agriculture
US Environmental Protection Agency
Mass DPH Flu information
US CDC flu information
US CDC West Nile Virus information
US CDC Lyme and tick borne disease information
Massachusetts Women, Infants and Children Nutrition Program information
Mass DEP toxics and hazards mercury spill information
Mass DEP recycling and composting information

 The Parker River Clean Water Association

The Board of Health works in conjunction with the Parker River Clean Water Association in recruiting volunteers to assist in promoting the restoration and protection of the ecological integrity of the Parker River, its tributary streams and adjacent lands. The goals of the association are to improve water quality throughout the Parker River watershed and within Plum Island Sound. The Parker River Clean Water Association engages in a wide range of activities ranging from water quality monitoring and habitat assessment to educational programs and public forums. Please contact the Parker River Clean Water Association directly at 978-462-2551.

 Volunteer Opportunity for the Medical Reserve Corp

Click here for more info.

Septic System Loans Available at 2%

The Board of Health, through the Mass Water Pollution Abatement Trust, has funds available for loans at 2 percent to Rowley homeowners for assistance repairing failed septic systems. Please contact the Board of Health office at 978-948-2231 for more information and fund availability.

Medical sharps, lancets, syringes and other medical needles/sharps should not be disposed of in the trash or at a dump. The Board of Health is pleased to offer an affordable alternative for the Residents of Rowley:

For a $5.00 fee, the Board of Health will provide syringe / medical sharps disposal for Rowley residents. A medical sharps container is available at no extra charge if needed.  Closed and locked containers can be brought to the Board of Health office during regular hours. Contact 978-948-2231 for more information.


Mercury can be har to your health and the environment if not managed properly.

  • Thermostats 
  • Mercury Switches 
  • Button Cell Batteries
  • Thermometers 
  • Fluorescent Light Bulbs (residential only)

Exchange your mercury fever thermometer for a digital thermometer (residential / while supplies last).

Please bring these products containing mercury to:

Rowley Board of Health office
39 Central Street, Rowley
Monday through Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Common Applications

Septic Systems Septic System Upgrade Process
  Application for Percolation Testing - Upgrade / Repair
  Application for Percolation Testing - New Construction / Expansion
Temporary Permits Caterer's Notification Form
  One Day Event Food Permit Applcation

Trench Permit Policy
MGL Chapter 82A and 520 CMR 14.00

1. The Board of Health is the issuing authority as of February 2010.

2. A fee of $25.00 payable to the Town of Rowley is due for each application.

3. A current copy of the excavator’s certificate of insurance addressed to the Board of Health must be received with the trench permit application.

4. This regulation and permit does not replace any other regulations and permits required. Obtaining permits for work on septic, building, roads or any other applicable activity is the responsibility of the property owner and excavator of the trench.

5. Failure to obtain a trench permit or starting work prior to issuance of a trench permit will result in a $50.00 fee.

6. If a trench is unattended and unprotected, the property owner and the excavator of the trench will be fined a minimum of $50.00 per day and:
a. The cost of the Town of Rowley to provide a Police detail to guard the unattended unprotected trench,
b. The time, materials, and equipment costs as determined by the Town of Rowley to secure the trench.

7. In the event that rescue services are required as the result of a trench that does not meet the standards set forth by the trench regulations or OSHA regulations, the property owner and excavator of the trench shall be responsible for all associated rescue costs.

Click here for downloadable PDF

Click here for trench permit application.



$7.00 Mid-size, tan pail with handle to collect compost scraps. Snap close, white lid.

Available at the Town of Rowley Board of Health

Monday through Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

978-948-2231 or Click Here for more information on composting.

Click Here for BOH Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Printer Friendly Page.

PO Box 275, 139 Main Street, Rowley, MA 01969
Board of Selectmen: 978-948-2372
Town Administrator: 978-948-2705

Photographs used by permission from Richard Hydren,
©2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 All rights reserved.

Payment Center

> Click here to pay
Real Estate, Personal Property, Water & Light bills

> Click here to pay
Motor Vehicle & Boat Excise
& Burn Permits

> Click here for help in getting started

Public Records Request Form
Click here for more informtion.

Updated Coastal Flood Insurance Rate Maps for Rowley

Names of Persons
on Uncashed Checks
Deemed Abandoned

Notice dated 5/23/18 PDF

What's Happening
Around Town

Rowleyn Community Media

Town Meeting Warrants (PDFs)

June 18, 2018 STM Warrant
June 18, 2018 STM Minutes

April 2018 ATM & STM Warrants
April 2018 STM Minutes
April 2018 ATM Minutes

Town Meeting Minutes (PDFs)

November 2016 STM
May 2017 STM
May 2017 ATM

Annual Reports (PDFs)
2017 Annual Report


Rowley election results page.

 Sign up now for Blackboard Connect

Learn more / FAQs.

Town of Rowley Notices

Click here for current listings.

Selectmen's list of resource links on Class Sizes
Learn more.

Volunteer Opportunity for the Medical Reserve Corp

Click here for more info.