Trench Permit Policy
MGL Chapter 82A and 520 CMR 14.00
1. The Board of Health is the issuing authority as of February 2010.
2. A fee of $25.00 payable to the Town of Rowley is due for each application.
3. A current copy of the excavator’s certificate of insurance addressed to the Board of Health must be received with the trench permit application.
4. This regulation and permit does not replace any other regulations and permits required. Obtaining permits for work on septic, building, roads or any other applicable activity is the responsibility of the property owner and excavator of the trench.
5. Failure to obtain a trench permit or starting work prior to issuance of a trench permit will result in a $50.00 fee.
6. If a trench is unattended and unprotected, the property owner and the excavator of the trench will be fined a minimum of $50.00 per day and:
a. The cost of the Town of Rowley to provide a Police detail to guard the unattended unprotected trench,
b. The time, materials, and equipment costs as determined by the Town of Rowley to secure the trench.
7. In the event that rescue services are required as the result of a trench that does not meet the standards set forth by the trench regulations or OSHA regulations, the property owner and excavator of the trench shall be responsible for all associated rescue costs.
Click here for downloadable PDF
Click here for trench permit application.